Lavender Flowers Sachets

Lavender Flowers Sachets
Wedding favors for Megan and Stephen's wedding

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Applique

As I sit in my bed drinking Dunkin Donut coffee (the best by the way), far better than Starbuck's, which I have spent a freaking fortune on, and I want my money back), I just laid my book down Julie and Julia. Her cooking endeavors are so much like my life of sewing. At one time, I had thousands of books on sewing, quilting, embroidering, but with every move, I realized I might have a problem. The movers never got mad about the heavy Ethan Allen furniture, the authentic slot machine, or my antique pieces, but the boxes of sewing books pissed them off royally. See, I use to live in the Valley and Monterrey, Mexico, and that is where I began my trek to sew. I was first a legal secretary, and I would wake up on Saturdays and feel completely useless from all the socializing and drinking, so I would get my 4 year old up and we would go looking for fabric and sewing books. I was trained by the best: Good Houskeeping, Butterick's Ready Set Sew, and the l940's Complete Book of Needle Arts. I have had treadle sewing machines, Singer, Berninas, and now I have a Janome. It is truly Heaven!!! And, I have the new book, Vintage Notions by Amy Barickman. I am in sewing book Heaven with this one. I didn't need it, but that never stopped me before. I also have a storage room for sewing books that won't fit in the house, but it is within walking distance of my house so no problem. Now, my 4 year old is 36 and I am still sewing and I have made so many projects. The latest being for my 27 year olds wedding. And, I have to thank Aimee, and I don't know her last name, or rather remember it, but I trained under her in Chicago. She taught me Applique and she was the absolute best and I have won many awards for my appliqueing. She is and will always be my hero. I tried to find out her name, but couldn't find it. I know she is Amish and if anyone knows it, please let me know. Until then, I will keep on living in my sewing Heaven with my cup of coffee and my fabrics strewn everywhere!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment